Baltimore, MD’s Basement Waterproofing Professionals
Be Aware of Health Concerns Associated with Your Basement
A damp, dark basement is an ideal breeding ground for mold to thrive. However, you don’t need to sit back and wait for these harmful organisms to grow. Instead, get in touch with Storm Waterproofing. We offer comprehensive mold removal services to keep your home safe for you and your family. Beyond that, we also provide numerous services for preventing mold growth in the first place. Learn more about mold exposure and how our Baltimore, MD waterproofing company can help.
Understanding How Mold Forms
The first step to mold remediation is understanding how and why mold formed in your home. Mold tends to grow in damp, dark conditions. This is why your basement and crawlspace are prime locations for mold to breed. Mold also needs warm temperatures to thrive, usually falling between 77 and 86 degrees. Since mold is a living organism, it also needs exposure to oxygen and an organic food source. When all these conditions come together, the help of an expert mold testing company is often necessary.
How Does Mold Affect My Health?
Mold exposure affects your health in a plethora of ways. Unfortunately, mold growth comes with much more than just an unpleasant smell and damage to your walls and floors. You and your family may be subject to numerous different physical side effects. Some of these may be mild, but others can worsen into a more severe issue. Some of the most common ways mold affects your health include the following:
- Mold Allergy Symptoms: Many signs of mold growth resemble allergy symptoms. Furthermore, mold is an allergen in itself that may worsen already-unpleasant allergies. As the sixth-leading cause of chronic illnesses, you want to keep your home free of harmful allergens.
- Irritation: Other symptoms of mold sickness include eye, nose, and skin irritation. These symptoms might mimic those of a nasty cold and leave you feeling unpleasant for days on end. You may have difficulty sleeping or trouble enjoying a relaxing evening at home.
- Worsening Asthma: Asthma is a very common condition in both children and adults. Unfortunately, mold exposure can worsen asthma symptoms and increase the frequency of asthma attacks.
How Can I Eliminate Mold Exposure Symptoms?
If you’re dealing with mold poisoning symptoms, you need to act to avoid additional health effects. While severe mold growth always requires professional help, most homeowners can take some measures on their own to slow growth. First, make sure the affected area is dry and all affected objects have been removed. If the growth is minor, you may be able to clean and disinfect the area yourself. Should you choose this route, wear safety gear, such as gloves and goggles, as well as long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
Preventing Mold in Your Home
Fortunately, Storm Waterproofing knows plenty of ways you can help prevent mold growth in your home. Not only do we provide mold treatment, but we also offer several services to keep your home secure from water damage. Here’s a brief rundown of how you can protect your home from excess moisture:
- Basement Waterproofing: During the waterproofing process, our team will identify the most likely entry points for water and seal them up. We may excavate some of the soil around the foundation as well to address any problem areas.
- Sump Pump Installation: Our team has the skills to install a sump pump to remove any excess water in your basement. This system can also prevent future flooding should heavy rains hit in the spring.
- Crawlspace Encapsulation: Crawlspaces can house standing water and become a breeding ground for mold. Our team will seal off your crawlspace, protecting it from the elements and pests.
Numerous Benefits of Basement Waterproofing
We strongly encourage you to invest in comprehensive basement waterproofing. You’ll find a plethora of benefits from quality waterproofing, including peace of mind that your Baltimore, MD home is protected. No two homes are exactly the same, so we tailor our techniques to your unique needs. We can seal cracked basement walls or restore deteriorating drywall. Our team can also help you prevent mold growth by fixing clogged drains or installing a basement sump pump. We can even take care of cracks in your foundation should they threaten your home’s structure. Contact Storm Waterproofing for more information about mold removal and waterproofing.
Why Choose Us?
- We are fully licensed, bonded, and insured
- We have over 20 years of experience
- We offer free estimates
- We offer transferable lifetime guarantees
- We are built on 3 generations of basement waterproofing experience
- We offer 24/7 emergency service
- We use state-of-the-art waterproofing techniques